Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When I look at Chinese vs Japanese calligraphy samples and books, it seems to me that there are subtly different aesthetic principles governing the characters, even discounting variants (including stroke order switches etc) and different formal styles. For argument's sake, let's limit the argument to 楷書 where things would be expected to be the same. Can an expert (or even a knowledgeable layman) see a sample of 楷書 and identify it as Japanese or Chinese? Or are the variations between calligraphers wide enough that national identity does not stand out as a distinguishing factor?

share|improve this question

Do you mean to exclude even subtle differences like the fact that 画 has a 由 inside in Japanese and a 田 in Chinese? –  Zhen Lin Jan 9 at 22:28

Yes, my intention was about consistent stylistic differences, particularly in brush calligraphy where they seem to be more pronounced. –  mmdanziger Jan 9 at 22:49
add comment

1 Answer

On a per-character basis, generally not. There can be exceptions (e.g. if a Chinese calligrapher is writing 马 instead of 馬), however it's customary in both styles of calligraphy to use the traditional forms of characters.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.