Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

私がびくびく怯えて過ごしてるせいで、彼まで過敏になってる気がする

This まで confusing me. In this case it's translating like "even", right?

share|improve this question

My first instinct would be that it means something similar to what we would say in English when we say "I've had it up to here!" (まで meaning "up to" in this case.) –  silvermaple Jan 10 at 22:31

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Here, まで is an intensifier and "even" is a valid translation.

[彼]{かれ}まで[過敏]{かびん}になってる = 彼さえ過敏になってる

share|improve this answer

まで has several meanings, but always includes some notion of range. Here it means that the range of people becoming over-sensible due to the narrator's fears extends up to 「彼」.

As the dictionary says, the word まで suffixes represents the boundary of the range, emphasizing its extent (thus even seems like a proper translation since it conveys the same nuance of emphasize):

事態の及ぶ範囲がある限界にまで達することを表す。1

Note that this is different from for example 彼も, which too would work here but would only state another person affected (he too) without giving the notion of other people of things included in the range between the narrator and 「彼」.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.