Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The complete sentence is this

なにあれ私好みなんだけど、もらっちゃっていい?

Is it a way to ask permission?

Thank you.

share|improve this question
A related question: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/4781/… Here as well, the ちゃう/じゃう form expresses a kind of carefreeness, asking for permission to do something that maybe you really shouldn't –  dainichi Jan 9 at 0:08

Imagine a conversation between two girls. They talk about their boyfriends, and a girl says "The guy over there is my boyfriend", then another girl says jokingly "Wow! He (That) is exactly my ideal type. I almost (and unmaliciously) take him away from you. Is it ok?" –  marasai Jan 12 at 2:00

3 Answers 3

Despite the "look" of the phrase, it is generally NOT a way to ask permission if said by a native speaker. It is a rhetorical question where the speaker is already giving herself (Isn't the speaker a woman?) permission as she utters the line.

"Can I take it (or even "him") home?"

share|improve this answer
なぜこの回答にマイナス票が入っているのか全く理解できませんね –  marasai Jan 9 at 4:05
@marasai おひさしぶり~ いあいあ、きっと回答のレベルが高すぎる or 回答は悪くないけど性格((ry –  Choko Jan 9 at 12:37

It's a contraction of もらってしまってもいい(ですか). The しまう in there sort of indicates that the speaker is asking for it despite knowing that they might not be the intended recipient (though it doesn't necessarily imply the existence of any specific intended recipient).

It means: Can I have it?

Possible nuances:

• Can I have it all?
  • Can I have it even though I don't really deserve it in particular?

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.