Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

totemo means "very"
suki means "like"
daisuki means "like very much"

If I really like something can I use totemo totemo daisuki desu?

share|improve this question
「とても」 is an adverb. –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Jun 22 '11 at 14:35

I don't know that, so what is for Adj. –  Sarawut Positwinyu Jun 22 '11 at 14:51
Please use proper punctuations and capitalization if you want other people to take your question seriously. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jun 22 '11 at 16:01
@Tsuyoshi Ito Sorry, I'm used to the camel case when i'm working on programming. I will improve use punctuation and capitalization properly. –  Sarawut Positwinyu Jun 23 '11 at 2:26

This seems like a problem of "ungradable adjectives". –  Gradius Jul 2 '12 at 22:55
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 7 down vote accepted

Google says yes, to the tune of 1 million hits. A lot of the time it's used to describe how much you like something (とても大好きなお店). I presume that you were asking "Can you say totemo daisuki desu to someone". You can say that too (あなたがとても大好きです).

Totemo daikirai doesn't have as big a number of hits in Google.

Someone else will have to confirm this, but it sounds sort of childish. Maybe because the feeling is so strong.

share|improve this answer
I think you're on to it. There's nothing preventing you from saying とても大好き, but it does sounds a bit overboard. Not really childish (I'm sure many if not most of the people you found using it on Google aren't children), but maybe still somewhat like saying "a lot a lot" in English. –  Boaz Yaniv Jun 22 '11 at 16:29
add comment

論より証拠

youtube.com/watch?v=CkXIOdOwGTE –  yadokari Oct 7 '11 at 15:00
@yadokari Your link is broken :( –  silvermaple Jan 17 '12 at 4:09
add comment

can I use “Totemo totemo daisuki desu”?

Whether you can use it or not depends on the context.

I think that “totemo daisuki” is redundant and therefore it is better to use either “totemo suki” (without dai-) or “daisuki” (without totemo) when some formalness is required. However, in informal contexts, there is nothing wrong with using the redundant expression to emphasize how much you like it. Using an informal expression can sometimes even imply that you really mean it (to the extent that you do not care about avoiding redundant expressions).

The same applies to “totemo daikirai,” too.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.