Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I recently came across the word 「結構くせ」. Haven't found any entries for it in the usual places (zokugo-dict, WWWJDIC, etc.) According to kotobank, 結構人 is a synonym for お人好し.

Is 結構くせ the (negative) habit of being an お人好し?

Context: (省略)…消費者には、結構くせがある。

share|improve this question
You seem to be treating 「結構くせ」 as one word, are you not? What was the context you found it in? Words had to follow it if not precede it, right? I have two possibilities in my mind already but I will wait for further context. –  非回答者 Jan 7 at 0:27

I am. I'll edit it with context. –  Trevor Alexander Jan 7 at 0:31

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

[結構]{けっこう} is an extremely often-used word meaning "fairly", "pretty (much)", "to a (great) degree", etc.

結構くせがある means "to have pretty strong or peculiar habits"

くせ = [癖]{くせ} = habit

Lastly, [結構人]{けっこうじん} has nothing to do with 結構くせがある. It means a "very likable person".

share|improve this answer

I wonder why my mental parser failed on this one? –  Trevor Alexander Jan 7 at 1:20
@TrevorAlexander Perhaps because adverbs (as in 副詞) are a pretty small class of words in Japanese, so if you tried to parse it purely probabilistic based on the characters, guessing it to be a noun-noun compound is a reasonable choice (ignoring any semantics of the words, which is a little silly :-). –  Darius Jahandarie Jan 7 at 1:46

True, and 結構 is pretty poorly behaved in terms of contemporary usage :P –  Trevor Alexander Jan 7 at 1:48

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.