Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

If "senpai" means someone's senior, then if I am the senior what do I call my freshman i.e. the one who is younger than me in the same school or something. How do I address them?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

To address younger kids in your school, you use their names and nicknames. You DO NOT address them as [後輩]{こうはい} unless it is jokingly done (and it is rarely done).

However, younger kids can address YOU as [先輩]{せんぱい} either all by itself or by combining it with your family name like [山本先輩]{やまもとせんぱい}.

share|improve this answer
ok thats the answer i was looking for. Now assume this situation which happened to me in real life. I know someone am her senpai in university ,then i started taking a japanese course recently i found out that she is at the last level of that course, so she is my senpai at that course . Now i always call her with her name + san . Should i call her at that course senpai and in college her name + san or just keep calling her "name + san" and thats ok? –  Ahmed Abdel Moneim Elket Jan 6 at 10:22
Among us Japanese, what matters most is the school year one belongs to. If a person is taking a particular subject at a more advanced level is of little importance with regards to how he should be addressed. So, you could call her "name + さん" all the time. However, this is no simple question because you guys are not Japanese or you live in Japan. –  非回答者 Jan 6 at 11:03

yes i live in egypt it is different. The thing is we are trying to talk japanese as much as we can to practise so thats why i asked . thanks :D –  Ahmed Abdel Moneim Elket Jan 6 at 11:46

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.