Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Here is a passage from my Japanese Bible

更に、悪魔はイエスを非常に高い山に連れて行き、世のすべての国々とその繁栄ぶりを見せて、「もし、ひれ伏してわたしを拝むなら、これをみんな与えよう」と言った。すると、イエスは言われた。「退け、サタン。『あなたの神である主を拝み、ただ主に仕えよ』と書いてある。」 - マタイによる[福音書]{ふく・いん・しょ}4章:8-10節

Then the Devil took Jesus to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world in all their greatness. "All this I will give you, " the Devil said, "if you kneel down and worship me." Then Jesus answered, "Go away, Satan! The scripture says, 'Worship the Lord your God and serve only him!' " - Matthew 4:8-10

So the choices we have are しりぞけ, どけ, ひけ, and のけ. I know all of these readings overlap at least somewhat in meaning, so I'm not really sure which one is best. I think どけ would be more for "get out of my way" rather than "go away", but that would imply some kind of movement on Jesus' part (the pre- and proceeding verses don't indicate he was walking or otherwise mobile). しりぞけ just sounds too long and unnatural, although that's just a subjective assessment. ひけ feels the most natural to me.

So which one is it? Or is more than one acceptable in this context?

share|improve this question
私なら「しりぞけ、サタン」って読むと思います –  Choko Jan 6 at 7:06
FWIW the Meiji bible says "サタンよ退け" with furigana indicating the reading しりぞけ. –  Matt Jan 6 at 7:49

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Without looking at anything, I would have to say that 「しりぞけ」 would be the most natural choice. If it were どけ, ひけ or のけ, a good writer or translator would have written it in hiragana.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.