Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I cannot grasp what にも means between 身のほど知らず and 敵対する愚 in the following sentence, maybe something like "foolishness of taking up arms not knowing their place" ?

As far as I can understand the sentence: "Let them taste true fear. Make them remember the foolishness of (身のほど知らずにも) taking up arms against our nation and our people, and then allow them to savor their bitter victory!"

奴らには恐怖を与えろ。この国に、我々に、身のほど知らずにも敵対する愚を思い知らせ、後に矮小な勝利をくれてやれ。

Thank you!

share|improve this question

It's the same にも as in 愚かにも(≒愚かなことに; foolishly; foolish enough to...), 幸いにも(≒幸いなことに; fortunately), 不幸/不運にも(≒不幸/不運なことに; unfortunately) etc... So I think 身の程知らずにも is like 身の程知らずなことに... –  Chocolate Jan 4 at 18:03
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 2 down vote accepted

It is the emphatic も that is used frequently in Japanese. It emphasizes the word or phrase that immediately precededs it. In this case it is 身のほど知らずに that is being emphasized.

身のほど知らずにも = "not having the slightest idea who they are (or 'what position they are in')"

share|improve this answer

Thank you very much for help. If I'm understanding correctly from your explanation, も here used only for emphasis, and it is not the same にも as in 愚かにも(≒愚かなことに; foolishly; foolish enough to...), 幸いにも(≒幸いなことに; fortunately), 不幸/不運にも(≒不幸/不運なことに; unfortunately) etc..., is this right ? –  DarkAkira Jan 5 at 10:58
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.