Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I recently came across this sentence:

Takashi ha 7 ji goro uchi ni kaerimashita

I do understand that it probably means Takashi came home at around 7, but from what I learnt to say "around 7" it's:

Nana ji goro.

So it has no uchi. In other words, the uchi is throwing me off.

Can someone explain this to me?

share|improve this question

Do we have to use romaji in our answers? –  Tokyo Nagoya Jan 4 at 13:48
I think your uchi here (内) means "home" in this case and not "around" . . . –  Robusto Jan 4 at 15:55
@Robusto we should clarify that the kanji in that case would be 家 and not 内 –  ssb Jan 4 at 16:09
The NHK漢字表記辞典 says it would be 家 in kanji, but it says うち in this sense should actually be written in kana instead--it's not included on the 常用漢字表 as an official reading for 家. As an aside, I couldn't find any examples of 内に帰る in BCCWJ that used 内 to write うち, so even unofficially it's probably not usually written that way. –  snailboat Jan 4 at 20:13
It would have to be 家. 「内に帰る」 sounds so philosophical and profound IF anyone ever said it. It sure is not something you do around 7 o'clock anyway. –  Tokyo Nagoya Jan 4 at 23:17
show 3 more comments

1 Answer

If you had the original kanji, it'd be more clear, but as Robusto mentioned in the comments, the "uchi" in your sentence likely refers to "home" instead of "around".

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.