Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The line (線は違う?) in Soran Bushi that says 男度胸(おとこどきょ)なら 五尺(ごしゃく)のからだ どんと乗り出せ 波の上 チョイー what does it literally mean? I think I know the words, but I can't understand what they mean from those meanings... I thought it means Men, if you are brave, your five feet of body... Then I don't know what don to noridase means- don like the sound, and I'm lost as to the meaning of noridase, and why it's imperative.  

share|improve this question

(1) 「線」 means a line like "______", not a line in a writing. You could use 「行」 or 「一行」. (2) という>と言った. You don't use the kanji there. –  Tokyo Nagoya Jan 6 at 23:53
add comment

1 Answer

It is an admonition, not a strict imperative (command). It says that a man of 五尺 (five feet) must be brave, to 乗り出せ (ride out or perhaps lean out) 波の上 (over the waves).

I feel that the tenor of the command is more like Horace Greeley's published quote of J. B. Soule's hortatory advice, "Go west, young man, go west." Not "do it now" but "aspire to do it."

Perhaps a better analogue (note: not a translation of the above, just a parallel mood of exhortation):

Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. — Daniel Burnham, Chicago architect

share|improve this answer

What about the "Don"? –  Anthony Jan 21 at 22:03
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.