Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

From a basic Japanese book I'm reading, I found that word in a vocabulary table. Now I'm having problems finding that word using Google, jisho.org, etc. I can find 大切な (taisetsuna) and that kanji sequence Is what I get if I type the romaji in Windows or Linux, but I don't see the other word as an option.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

The word in the title of your question is not 大切{たいせつ}, it is 親切{しんせつ}.

If you look 親切 up in jisho.org, you should discover that: 親切 on jisho.org

share|improve this answer

Then what is wrong is the romaji for the word in the vocabulary table of my book. It says TAISETSU-NA when they should said SHINSETSU-NA. As the meaning of the word 親切 at jisho.org matches the one of the book. Only the romaji differs. How do you put the furigana above your kanji? –  Hatoru Hansou Dec 31 '13 at 22:32

You put it in curly braces after the kanji, like this: {しんせつ} –  Darius Jahandarie Dec 31 '13 at 22:34

@HatoruHansou I assume it's a misprint. (Even good books probably have one or two mistakes here or there.) –  snailboat Dec 31 '13 at 22:50

Now I'm sure it is. –  Hatoru Hansou Dec 31 '13 at 23:01

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.