Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

桜桜の歌詞で「匂いぞ出{い}ずる」と言った(どうやっていうの?)文があります。その文のぞはどういう意味ですか?助詞じゃないですか?

I don't really know how well I structured that. In any case, what is the functionality of ぞ in さくらさくら? I can only find web definitions for emphasis, at the end of sentences.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

This 「ぞ」 is a 係助詞{かかりじょし} (binding particle) from classical Japanese.

History: It was originally そ in the Nara period, then ぞ in the Heian period, gone in the Muromachi period except for people intentionally trying to sound poetic, such as the author of this poem.

Semantics: It stresses/emphasizes what it marks

Syntax: It occurs in the usual spots of a 係助詞 (the syntactic class containing は, も, こそ, でも, etc.), but in addition, it is followed by the 連体形 of a verb -- this phenomena occurs with a few other 係助詞 in Classical Japanese and is called 係り結び.

Examples:

右近見知りたる。呼べ!
ukon zo misiritaru. yobe.
"Ukon knows for sure. Call her!"

みな鎧の袖をぬらしける。
mina yorohi no sode wo zo nurasikeru.
"Everyone wet the sleeves of their armor."

In your case:

霞か雲か 匂い出{い}ずる
kasumi ka kumo ka nioi zo izuru
"Is it mist? Is it a cloud? The color radiates!"

(This 出ずる is in fact a newer spelling of the 連体形 of the 下二段活用動詞「出づ」, 「出づる」, meaning that this sentence fits the bill.)

share|improve this answer

I think that 匂い (にほひ) stands for "hue" rather than "smell". –  user4092 Aug 3 '14 at 23:52

Oops, you are indeed correct that it's almost certainly not "smell" there... I should have checked a 古語辞典. –  Darius Jahandarie Aug 4 '14 at 1:34

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.