Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can anyone explain this use of もし? I thought it had to come before ~たら or ~えば.

もしテレビで観たという方、ぜひぜひツイッターで教えてください。

share|improve this question

I think that means "If that is the person you saw on television, please tell us on twitter!" I take もし to mean hypothetically. If you think about it, that's what it means as kind of an extra "if" in the たら and えば constructions –  virmaior Dec 31 '13 at 4:13
@virmaior, I think it means "People who saw it on TV, please tell us on twitter", for a couple of reasons. 1:方 is more likely to refer to the addressee than a 3rd person. 2:the missing なら/だったら/であれば, which would be missing in your interpretation, annoys me more than the superfluous もし in my interpretation. –  dainichi Dec 31 '13 at 4:43

@dainichi, I think you are right regarding the 方! Thanks for explaining. What do you think of "If you are a person who saw it on television, please tell us on twitter." (here I'm trying to deal with the という). I don't the もし winds up as superfluous with the translation I'm suggesting in this one the もし then pairs with という. –  virmaior Dec 31 '13 at 5:27

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

I find this slightly non-standard, but fully understandable. I think it's a mix of the sentences

テレビで観たという方、ぜひぜひ... People who saw it on TV, please...

and

もしテレビで観たという方がいれば、ぜひぜひ... If anybody saw it on TV, please...

I don't think there's a hard rule that もし has to go with ~たら or ~えば, but it needs to precede some kind of condition. For example, もし~場合(は) and もし~とき(は) are also possible.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.