Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

So, 分かる is never used as 分かれる, right? Because 分かる is already a potential-form verb, according to my Japanese grammar dictionary. About なる: can it be conjugated as なれる? Or how about ならせる? For example, 青くならせる--make it blue. If not, how do I say things like, "Make her happy; turn this blue; make it so!" And back to 分かる, can you say 分からせる: 'make it understood'?

share|improve this question

I think that the main reason with 分かる is to prevent confusion with the verb 別れる, which has the same root but has shifted in meaning. –  user54609 Dec 29 '13 at 2:24

@user54609 It's just a homonym. That's like saying we shouldn't say 'bat' in baseball because it might be confused with an animal. People can read contextual queues. When a foreigner says 分かれる, it's probably mistaken with 別れる for the contrapositive reason that 分かれる isn't grammatical and isn't a word. Like 雨 and 飴, homonyms exist in Japanese. –  Wolfpack'08 Dec 29 '13 at 2:38

I don't think so. 別 and 分 have similar kanji meanings, and 国語辞書 says [動ラ下一][文]わか・る[ラ下二]《「分かれる」と同語源》... –  user54609 Dec 29 '13 at 2:42

分かれる is also a word albeit also with a weird semantic shift. This is probably the most direct answer. –  user54609 Dec 29 '13 at 2:43
I think it's the other way around: 分かれる has the older meaning, and 分かる gained a new meaning. As an aside, in this post sawa suggests that because *分かることができる is unacceptable the "prevent confusion with わかれる" idea doesn't fly. –  snailboat Dec 29 '13 at 3:33

1 Answer 1

分かる is never used as 分かれる, right? Because 分かる is already a potential-form verb, according to my Japanese grammar dictionary.
>> Right. You don't say 分かれる to mean "can understand".

About なる: can it be conjugated as なれる?
>> Yes, the potential form of なる is なれる.

Or how about ならせる? For example, 青くならせる--make it blue.
>>ならせる is the causative form of なる. 青くならせる is understandable but we normally use 青くする (or 青くさせる) to mean "make it blue".

Make her happy >> 幸せにする
turn this blue >> 青くする
make it so! >> そうして(imperative?) or そういうふうにして(?)

And back to 分かる, can you say 分からせる: 'make it understood'?
>> Yes. 分からせる is the causative form of 分かる.

share|improve this answer

語源とかちょっとわかんないんで・・すいません。。 –  Choko Dec 29 '13 at 4:01

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.