Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Im scratching my head trying to figure out grammar behind マリアさんの話を聞きたいっておっしゃってましたよ。

Its from my text book, which is translated into something like want to hear his word saying about it. I knew 聞きたい = want to hear, おっしゃる = polite word for say/speak, but couldnt put them together.

I guess there are some sort of contracted speech involved since the conversation is somewhat casual, but there isnt sufficient grammar guide for it in my book, nor could I google anything helpful beyond auto translation. Can anyone explain it to me and guide me roughly through this "contracted form" puzzle?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 1 down vote accepted

It's a conversational form of

聞きたいとおっしゃていました

where って is a conversational form of the quoting と reporting something being said, and the い of いました is elided as it usually is in conversational speech.

share|improve this answer

thank! Is there any rule book I can learn this from? Its quite hard for an elementary learner to wade through these non text book expressions while hes still relying on dictionary for more than half of any given sentence. –  Kronpas Dec 28 '13 at 16:11

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.