Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Could you please give me an example of the expression '気持ちを込める' and when you would use it?

Thank you in advance! :)

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

[気持]{きもち}ちを[込]{こ}める is an often-used phrase when the mental or psychological aspect of something is being emphasized. = "to put my heart into ~~"

Baseball pitchers often say after a good performance, 「[今日]{きょう}は[一球一球]{いっきゅういっきゅう}気持ちを込めて[投]{な}げました。」 = "I put my heart and soul into every pitch I made today."

A singing teacher may say 「もっと気持ちを込めて[歌]{うた}いなさい!」 = "You need to put more heart into your singing!"

「気持ちを込めてこのケーキを[焼]{や}いた。」= "I put my feelings into baking this cake."

share|improve this answer
Thank you for this informative answer. Just a suggestion on your english examples: "I put my feelings into baking this cake." is unnatural. I suggest some alternatives: "I put my heart and soul into this cake."/"I put my heart and soul into baking this cake."/"I put everything I had into baking this cake." –  yadokari Dec 28 '13 at 14:05

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.