Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When is it okay to have more than one は in a sentence? I've come across a few examples where there have been more than one は, and hadn't why.

Example:

日本語は色々なスピーチスタイルがあることは知っていますね。

Thank you!

share|improve this question
This is a really general question. Would you like to make it more specific by adding some of these examples you've come across? –  snailboat Dec 27 '13 at 17:18

Sure! I understand the down voting, I should have made it more specific. I'll do that now. Thanks :) –  Sesseto Dec 28 '13 at 2:12

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

I think there are two ways to parse this:

日本語は[色々なスピーチスタイルがあること]は知っていますね。

and

[日本語は色々なスピーチスタイルがあること]は知っていますね。

In the first parsing, the second は is contrastive, as in "With respect to Japanese, you at least know that there are a number of different speech styles, yeah?"

In the second parsing, the first は is contrastive, as in "You know that Japanese has a number of different speech styles, but another language does not, right?"

There are two rules that I have internalized:

• Any embedded はs are contrastive
  • The first non-embedded は is a normal topic marker, any following non-embedded はs are contrastive

I have had other people disagree with this though, so a native speaker's opinion regarding this answer is needed.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.