Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I often see 浮く in contexts relating to floatability, like:

氷は水に浮きます

However, sometimes I see 浮く used where I'd use 浮かぶ. When should one be used over the other? Are there any cases where both are acceptable?

share|improve this question

You should add 浮かべる too. –  istrasci Dec 28 '13 at 2:36

Can it's meaning not be deduced from 浮かぶ? –  Daniel Safari Dec 29 '13 at 15:00
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 1 down vote accepted

浮く to float, float to the surface. 「魚が浮いた」 「泡が浮く」 「木が水に浮く」 「空に浮く」

浮かぶ to be floating at a surface, float with no movement (think of the かぶ like ~ている)。 「氷が浮かぶ」 「白雲が浮かぶ」

share|improve this answer

To whoever down voted me, this is how my Japanese-Japanese dictionary explains it (大辞林). –  Jon Jan 4 at 12:04

Does your dictionary say 魚が浮た, not 魚が浮いた? (ところでダウンボートしたの私じゃないです) –  Chocolate Jan 6 at 1:22

Ah that's just a typo thanks. –  Jon Jan 6 at 9:24

@Jon: It seems to me like 浮く is simply an antonym of 沈む, wouldn't you agree? –  Daniel Safari Jan 6 at 16:57

@DanielSafari In meaning and being intransitive, sure. "simply~" is not how I would make statements about high-context languages, however. –  Jon Jan 8 at 2:29
show 1 more comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.