Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is ありす, or a name pronounced the same as "ありす", a traditional feminine given name? (If I have to define traditional, then pre-dating the end of the Sakoku policy)

I've heard about parents naming their girls ありす because they like the foreign name "Alice", but does the name actually pre-date the event of Japanese knowing the word "Alice"?

share|improve this question
I don't think it's a traditional Japanese name. かなり新しいと思います。西洋の名前のAliceを真似したんだと思います。 –  Choko Dec 27 '13 at 6:27
All one could do is speculate. There may or may not have been a period when some women were actually named ありす before Sakoku. It is certainly a possible sound combination for a Japanese name. Thing is first names change faster and more drastically in Japan than in many other countries. Many of us are not named like our parents and many of our chidren are not named like us. That is Japan. –  非回答者 Dec 30 '13 at 0:59
I do not think it is a "traditional name". However note that you can find the sounds ありす in some traditional names such as 有栖川 –  wil Jan 3 at 14:50

There's ありさ name by the way. Not sure if it is very traditional but definitely popular. –  Rilakkuma Sep 4 at 5:48

1 Answer 1

It's not a traditional name. Originates from English and French.

share|improve this answer

Proof for the downvoter. ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%A2%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9 –  Jon Jan 8 at 3:13

The Wikipedia link (a disambiguation page) doesn't have any citations. –  Andrew Grimm Jan 27 at 11:37

This answer is correct. Although some parents may name their daughters ありす today, it is definitely not native to Japanese language. –  CookieMonster Jul 29 at 6:53
This answer is about the name "Alice", not about 「ありす」. –  非回答者 Sep 4 at 5:20

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.