Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm looking at this picture of the 日米和親条約 (Kanagawa convention) from the late Edo period and it seems rather strange:

enter image description here

It looks like the non-kanji parts are rather haphazardly written in katakana and hiragana. For example, the first part: 全権 ニテユカル ペレトペルリ . And the next page, 日本と合衆国と 其人民...

Is there some sort of rules behind this, or is it just stylistic choices by the person in question? It does seem that Japanese orthography wasn't really standardized until the Meiji period (in which official documents seem to be written in a weird constrained Classical Japanese with 濁点 omitted, but I'll ask that as another question), but this random usage of katakana and hiragana, well I've haven't seen it before. I thought a text usually used either katakana or hiragana for its non-kanji parts.

share|improve this question
Haphazardness on an official document? No way! It doesn't say ニテユカル ペレトペルリ. It says マテユカルブレトペルリ which happened to be the katakanization of "Matthew Calbraith Perry" in those days. It is only customary to write foreign names in katakana. –  非回答者 Dec 20 '13 at 4:50

Oh sorry. I still want an explanation of とハ though. –  user54609 Dec 20 '13 at 17:02
I might be wrong about this but I think that using ハ as the particle was the preferred way back then. –  vivien Dec 20 '13 at 23:51
Yeah, that's a possible explanation, but I would like it be an answer, possibly with sources or other texts that use ハ in an otherwise hiragana text. –  user54609 Dec 21 '13 at 0:05
Technically, that is not katakana ハ, but alternative character for hiragana は. See F588 in this page: www10.plala.or.jp/koin/koinhentaigana.html They also wrote に as F541 in 1st line, は as F581 in 2nd line. –  marasai Dec 21 '13 at 4:48
show 2 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.