Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In "The Matrix Revolutions", at the final showdown, there's a brief exchange:

Smith: アンダーソン君 お帰り

Smith: 会いたかった

Neo: 今夜が最後だ

That's what the subtitles say, anyway. The dub is almost identical for Smith (he adds "君に" at the start of the second line), but Neo says something different that I don't recognize. It sounds like: "今夜 けりがつく" (??).

I'm assuming that what Neo says is equivalent in meaning to "最後だ", but I don't know anything like that that sounds like what he says.

(If this doesn't sound familiar to anyone, I can try recording the audio.)

share|improve this question
Have you looked けりがつく up in a dictionary? –  Darius Jahandarie Dec 19 '13 at 2:05

Yes, and it wasn't in my Kodansha, nor my 大辞林, and so I figured I mustn't have heard it correctly. –  Ken Dec 19 '13 at 2:20
Darius: What dictionary do you recommend? You sound like you're suggesting that you have a dictionary which contains this word. –  Ken Dec 19 '13 at 2:25
It is in 大辞泉 (which can be searched along with 大辞林 on kotobank.jp), and it is also in 英辞郎 (which can be searched using www.alc.co.jp), as well as in EDICT (which can be searched using jisho.org, but honestly I wouldn't recommend using EDICT for anything :-) –  Darius Jahandarie Dec 19 '13 at 2:48
@ssb Personally, I think an answer describing けりがつく/けりをつける would be fine without checking the audio. The OP is asking if there's something equivalent in meaning to "最後だ" that sounds like "けりがつく", and the answer seems pretty clear. –  snailboat Dec 19 '13 at 7:50
show 1 more comment

2 Answers

http://gogen-allguide.com/ke/keri.html

-keri is a conjugational suffix in classical japanese for the past tense.
http://www.classical-japanese.net/Grammar/past.html

Your contextual intuition was correct for the meaning of the phrase.

share|improve this answer
add comment

I have a DVD but I think it's a different version because its subtitles are
Smith: お帰り アンダーソン君 待ちわびたよ なかなか壮観だろ? 
Neo: 今夜 終わる。
and its audio goes
Smith: アンダーソン君 お帰り 君に会いたかった なかなか壮観なもんだろ?
Neo: 今夜けりがつく。
(not sure if this answers your question though...)

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.