Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question already has an answer here:

I was wondering if there is any context implied by a sentence like "6時に起こしてください。"

I have read it translated as "Please wake me up at 6." But is "me" implied? Could it also mean "Please (will you) wake up at 6."?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by snailboat May 7 at 15:50

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted

You're right that there is technically some ambiguity, although slightly wrong in your interpretation. In a sentence like 6時に起こしてください it's basically implied that you mean yourself, as in the provided translation ("Please wake me up"). Without context, though, there's no way to be 100% sure. It could be a request to wake up any other person (except the person to whom the request is directed, as in "please wake up at 6").

起こす is a transitive verb, so you're asking this person to wake someone up. Wake me up, wake Jim up, wake Mary up, anyone. In Japanese this would be more explicitly stated with を, as in "6時にジョンを起こしてください。"

If you want that person to get up at 6, you would use 6時に起きてください. 起きる is an intransitive verb, so it has a meaning closer to the simple "wake up" in English, as in "I woke up at 6." Notice the lack of a direct object. "I woke up at 6" does not imply that you woke someone else up -- it only refers to you, the speaker.

share|improve this answer

Ah thank-you, a good explanation of Transitive verbs is on wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transitive_verb#Other_languages –  yuumei Dec 18 '13 at 17:16

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.