Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was wondering if there is any context implied by a sentence like "6時に起こしてください。"

I have read it translated as "Please wake me up at 6." But is "me" implied? Could it also mean "Please (will you) wake up at 6."?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 6 down vote accepted

You're right that there is technically some ambiguity, although slightly wrong in your interpretation. In a sentence like 6時に起こしてください it's kind of assumed that you mean to request that you yourself be woken up at 6, although without context there's no way to be 100% sure. It could be waking up anyone.. except as a command like "please wake up at 6" to someone.

起こす is a transitive verb, so you're asking this person to wake someone up. If you want that person to get up at 6, you would use 6時に起きてください.

share|improve this answer

Ah thank-you, a good explanation of Transitive verbs is on wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transitive_verb#Other_languages –  yuumei Dec 18 '13 at 17:16
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.