I understand what なぜか and こういうのって mean in a rough sense, but I'm having a hard time grasping the meaning well enough to make a sentence out of it while translating something.

The context is that Person A just realized that Person B might not understand the language he is speaking.

Page 1

Page 2

• please show the full quote, with preceding and following information and/or quotes.
    – yadokari
    Dec 17, 2013 at 20:43
  • ちゃんと通じたのかどうなのか。 あ。照れてる? だけど解る多分... きっと言ってくれているんだと。 ああそっか。 なぜかこういうのって。
    – Storm Echo
    Dec 17, 2013 at 20:49
    It says 喜んで, not 言って, and it says なんだか, not なぜか.
    – user1478
    Dec 17, 2013 at 23:37

1 Answer 1

The phrase 「ああそっか なんだかこういうのって」 would need to be translated in conjunction with the hand-written 「てれっ = "I feel bashful/flattered/awkward"」, which is used almost like a sound effect or onomatopoeia here though it is originally the colloquial way of saying [照]{て}れる.

The little guy senses the satisfaction on the part of the big guy, which in return gives him a sense of achievement and positive awkwardness.

As in many other cases of J-to-E translations, one would have to use a few words that are not in the original for it to make sense in the target language. My own TL attempt might be something like:

"Never knew something like this would feel so awkward."

is the use of って here a variant of the quotative って, though here just used to emphasize the self-reflection of the moment? I am familiar with this pattern but only in spoken conversation so I did not know how to define it.
    – yadokari
    Dec 18, 2013 at 0:29
    It is originally quotative as a word but here it is used more like a casual topic marker. it is kind of like は but much lighter in feeling. The small っ often makes words sound informal.
    – user4032
    Dec 18, 2013 at 1:30
  • Thanks. I had inferred something similar but couldn't find that definition in an online dictionary.
    – yadokari
    Dec 18, 2013 at 1:36

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .