Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I understand what なぜか and こういうのって mean in a rough sense, but I'm having a hard time grasping the meaning well enough to make a sentence out of it while translating something.

The context is that Person A just realized that Person B might not understand the language he is speaking.

Page 1

Page 2

share|improve this question

please show the full quote, with preceding and following information and/or quotes. –  yadokari Dec 17 '13 at 20:43

ちゃんと通じたのかどうなのか。 あ。照れてる? だけど解る多分... きっと言ってくれているんだと。 ああそっか。 なぜかこういうのって。 –  Storm Echo Dec 17 '13 at 20:49
It says 喜んで, not 言って, and it says なんだか, not なぜか. –  snailboat Dec 17 '13 at 23:37

1 Answer 1

The phrase 「ああそっか なんだかこういうのって」 would need to be translated in conjunction with the hand-written 「てれっ = "I feel bashful/flattered/awkward"」, which is used almost like a sound effect or onomatopoeia here though it is originally the colloquial way of saying [照]{て}れる.

The little guy senses the satisfaction on the part of the big guy, which in return gives him a sense of achievement and positive awkwardness.

As in many other cases of J-to-E translations, one would have to use a few words that are not in the original for it to make sense in the target language. My own TL attempt might be something like:

"Never knew something like this would feel so awkward."

share|improve this answer
is the use of って here a variant of the quotative って, though here just used to emphasize the self-reflection of the moment? I am familiar with this pattern but only in spoken conversation so I did not know how to define it. –  yadokari Dec 18 '13 at 0:29
It is originally quotative as a word but here it is used more like a casual topic marker. it is kind of like は but much lighter in feeling. The small っ often makes words sound informal. –  非回答者 Dec 18 '13 at 1:30

Thanks. I had inferred something similar but couldn't find that definition in an online dictionary. –  yadokari Dec 18 '13 at 1:36

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.