Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

So here is the sentence:

このスプーンすてきですね

Why didn't we say:

このスプーンはすてきですね

Isn't スプーン the topic of the sentence? Why did we remove it? Why did we leave it in a sentence like:

とうきょうはきれいです
share|improve this question

You don't need to have "help" in the question title. This site is all about answering good questions. –  Andrew Grimm Dec 15 '13 at 3:55
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Particles, especially は and を, are often omitted in colloquial Japanese. Formal Japanese would require the は to mark the topic, as you suggested. Compare

ご飯食べる?

share|improve this answer

If you are suggesting, which you clearly are, that を is being omitted after 何か, I disagree. 「何かを食べない?」 sounds very unnatural to begin with. With 何か it sounds much more natural without the を. With a specific food name, however, it would have made a good example sentence. –  Tokyo Nagoya Dec 14 '13 at 20:45

@TokyoNagoya Thank you for your comment. I had ご飯食べる? first, but then changed it, because I wasn't sure how best to translate it into English. –  Earthliŋ Dec 14 '13 at 21:01

@TokyoNagoya You can undo downvotes on a question/answer once they have been edited. –  Earthliŋ Dec 16 '13 at 16:32
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.