Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Translating Dante's divine Comedy " Follow your own path and let people talk"

I have distilled it to あなたの夢を追う。噂話無視 which I believe translates to " Follow your dreams and ignore the gossips" Is this correct?

How does the translation change if I write 夢を追う。噂話無視

I am inscribing this on a pendant so I need the fewest number of characters with out changing the meaning

share|improve this question
I'm afraid but (あなたの)夢を追う is not imperative and 噂話無視 makes little sense to me. –  Chocolate Dec 14 '13 at 7:40
That line is a paraphrase of Purgatory (V, 13) as used by Marx in Das Kapital. The original appears to say something along the lines of "Come after me..." not "Follow your own path...". One translation is: 我につきて來れ、斯民このたみをその言ふに任まかせよ (山川丙三郎訳) –  nkjt Dec 14 '13 at 11:25
Why not translate from the original Italian?! –  Zhen Lin Dec 15 '13 at 10:30
add comment

closed as off-topic by nkjt, Dono, Earthliŋ, snailboat Dec 15 '13 at 10:18

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions asking for translations are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not provide a bulk translation service. See: We don't do translations." – nkjt, Dono, Earthliŋ, snailboat
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

2 Answers

up vote 0 down vote accepted

a few options here: http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=own+path

As to the firm of the main verb, I had a little trouble finding Japanese mottos per se, but corporate and advertising slogans tend to use the volitional, not the imperative. Or just leave the verb off entirely, for that matter (like「未来へ」or 「ステキに」). Which, seeing as you wanted to save space, is what I'll do.

so, arbitrarily: 噂を聞かず、自分の道を

(you could swap the final を for に if you want to emphasise "choosing" your path over "following/walking" it)

I picked the old-fashioned ず ending to sound deliberately archaic/literary.

share|improve this answer
I'm sure Tokyo Nagoya will be along shortly to tell me how wrong I am ;) –  momerathe Dec 14 '13 at 12:05
add comment

How about [人]{ひと}に[流]{なが}されるな, [他人]{たにん}に流されるな or [周]{まわ}りに流されるな for "Let people talk"?

[我]{わ}が[道]{みち}を[行]{い}け。(他)人/周りに流されるな。 (我が道=one's own path, 行け=imperative "go")

or

[自]{みずか}らの[夢]{ゆめ}を[追]{お}え。(他)人/周りに流されるな。 (自ら=oneself, 夢=dream(s), 追え=imperative "pursue")

...maybe??

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.