Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Where does the kanji for 凄い come from? I don't know what any of the component strokes mean, and it just looks really strange to me. Can I get an etymology of the word? In Chinese I think it means something completely different...

share|improve this question
It has an 音読み of セイ which is a 漢読み. In words using that reading, the meaning seems to be cold or harsh. That may have a meaning similar to the meaning in Chinese (I cannot speak to that point). The two components are ni-sui (related to 水 but often meaning cold) and tsuma (妻). –  virmaior Dec 14 '13 at 2:28
What is tsuma? And also what is kanyomi? –  user3457 Dec 14 '13 at 3:58
Japanese sound readings fall into several categories. One of them is the 漢. These refer to different waves of pronunciation take from China ( つま means wife. It's an element in the Japanese system for writing characters... –  virmaior Dec 14 '13 at 10:55

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

凄 = 冫 + 妻 

The radical 冫 is named にすい and it means "ice".

妻 means "wife".

凄 means "ice-cold", "bleak", "mournful", "frigid", etc., so it is a kanji with highly negative meanings.

You stated that the kanji meant something completely different in Chinese but it DOES NOT. Your statement appears to be based on a comparison between the positive modern colloquial meaning of 「[凄]{すご}い」 in Japanese and the negative original Chinese meaning of 「凄」, does it not? If so, it is not a fair comparison.

凄い in Japanese was originally a very negative word, too. It meant "dreadful", "unearthly", "grim", etc. You probably had the modern meaning "fantastic" in mind, did you not?

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.