Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have the following translation for class.

旅館には、外国人がたくさんいて、
アメリカから来たテッドさんという人が、
息子に英語の話し方を教えてくれたので、
そのおれいに、車で、神社に連れて行ってあげることにしました。

I am having trouble figuring out who goes along with what parts of the sentence.

The first line I think I am fine with.

In the Japanese-style inn, there were a lot of people and...

The second line I am also pretty confident about.

a person called Ted-san who came from America...

The third line is where I start having an issue. I thought ...てくれる was only used when someone was giving/doing something for you (the speaker). Is this not the case? I feel like I want to assign it to the son, and make it the following. But I am not sure.

taught my son how to speak English so...

The fourth line the only issue I have is knowing what そのおれいに means. I know その marks "that" and is a particle. I looked up おれい and find "thank you". So "to that thank you"? I am guessing it's the following. But not sure how it comes together.

to thank him for that, I decided to take him to a shrine in our car.

So my questions are.

1. When can ...てくれる be directed towards someone other than the speaker?
  2. How does そのおれいに transfer to English?

share|improve this question

くれる isn't only used when someone gives something to you. It's more of a "giving down". Someone of higher "status" gives to someone of lower "status", or alternatively, someone close to the speaker is being given something. My first thought when reading this (and I could be wrong) is that Ted-san's son is close to the speaker. –  Ataraxia Dec 14 '13 at 0:33
I thought 下さる was used for giving down. –  Rachel G. Dec 14 '13 at 0:47

下さる is the extremely humble version of くれる。 Usually not used in normal speech. –  Ataraxia Dec 14 '13 at 1:21
I think 下さる is 尊敬語(honorific form) not 謙譲語(humble form). I don't think 下さる is "extremely" polite/formal. I think 息子に英語の話し方を教えて*くださった*ので、そのお礼に車で神社に連れて行って(さし)あげることにしました would be acceptable here. (それと、Tedさんの息子とか関係ないです。>> 「「くれる」「下さる」:与える側が主語、*受ける側が視点*となり、*与える側はソトの人物*に限られる。」授受動詞) –  Choko Dec 14 '13 at 6:27
If your son benefited from Ted's kindness, you also benefited, so you gave Ted a ride as a token of gratitude. Is this uniquely Japanese or just universal? –  非回答者 Dec 14 '13 at 8:47

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

I don't see anything wrong with your translation (except 外国人 = foreign people)

1. When the action is directed towards someone from your in-group ([内]{うち}/ウチ).
    Uchi-soto
  2. そのお[礼]{れい}に means そのお礼として, in return (for~). 参考:お礼として in Weblio
    breakdown:
    その its
    お礼(≒[返礼]{へんれい}, お[返]{かえ}し) reward, return(favor, gift...)
    に/として as
share|improve this answer

Thanks for the info. :) –  Rachel G. Dec 14 '13 at 18:01

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.