Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I sometimes see moving or directional verbs doubled up, with the first verb in て form. I think my professor mentioned that this just sometimes happens but means the same as if you didn't have the second verb. So essentially the following 2 sentences are the same (both meaning I went traveling).

旅行に行きました
旅行に行って来ました

But is there any nuance difference between the 2?

I might also be wrong. Something tells me this might mean I went traveling and was still there.

share|improve this question
Strictly speaking, it is 「行ってきました」, not 「行って来ました」. Subsidiary verbs are written in kana. –  Tokyo Nagoya Dec 13 '13 at 21:23

Thanks. I thought that was usually the case. But my professor sometimes uses the kanji. Perhaps he is just testing our recognition of them. –  Rachel G. Dec 13 '13 at 23:17
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 5 down vote accepted

The first is simply "I went on a trip". The second emphasizes the fact that you went an on trip and are (somewhat) recently back now.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.