Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I often hear "あせた" as in:

パスワードわかんなくてあせた
作れなくてあせたわ
久々すぎて全然できなくてあせた

Is it only oral usage?
How should I write it in an email?
Does it make sense to ever spell it with kanji?
I always hear it as "あせた", can it be used in other tenses as well?

share|improve this question

Is it not a shortening of 焦った? –  ssb Dec 12 '13 at 6:29

@ssb: Could be! I have no idea about its origin and kanji, in fact. Also, I have no idea why this question gets downvoted. It is used in Japanese, so it should not be off-topic here. –  Nicolas Raoul Dec 12 '13 at 6:40

Not sure about the downvotes. But did you copy these sentences from somewhere or transcribe it? あせた usually refers to faded colors as far as I know. –  ssb Dec 12 '13 at 6:45

It might be dialect, but I hear it often and it really sounds like あせた not あせった. I guess people don't write it, but there are still many Google occurrences if that proves anything: google.com/… –  Nicolas Raoul Dec 12 '13 at 6:53
Interesting. Possibly ネット用語? –  ssb Dec 12 '13 at 6:56

1 Answer 1

Apparently the correct term and kanji is 焦った (to lose one's mind).

Thanks to ssb for the tip!

share|improve this answer

It seems peculiar to say what the "correct" word is when discussing a new slang word. IMHO, 「あせる/汗る」 is correct in its own right though I would never use it myself. Call one slang word "not correct" and we will be calling all slang words "not correct". –  非回答者 Dec 12 '13 at 9:32

Besides, 汗る does not always mean 焦る. –  非回答者 Dec 12 '13 at 9:38

@TokyoNagoya: Haha I got downvoted for using 汗る and now for not using it... Post a new answer. –  Nicolas Raoul Dec 12 '13 at 9:54

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.