Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can へ mean "and"? In Chinese 和 means "and" and is read "he", so I'm just hopeful... I don't mean in the present necessarily, just at any point in the language's history. I know へ is used as a direction marker... just wondering if there was another use.

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

No, it can't.

へ as a particle in Japanese maintains the meaning of direction and is unrelated to any meaning of "and." Furthermore, the pronunciation of "he" i Chinese is quite different from the pronunciation of へ in Japanese, so even that much is a but of a stretch. They're alike in romanization only. This is even more irrelevant because when Japanese uses the character 和 with its Chinese-derived pronunciation, it becomes "wa."

和 in Japanese refers to peace/harmony, like in 平和, or to Japan itself as in 大和{やまと} or 和風{わふう}.

share|improve this answer

Absolutely not. 和 doesn't even mean "and" in Chinese generally – only in Mandarin. Moreover the on-yomi for 和 are わ and か, as expected – at the time Chinese words were borrowed, the /h/ phoneme was pronounced with the lips (most likely [p] or [ɸ]).

The etymology of the particle へ itself is well-understood: it derives from a (now extinct) noun meaning something like "neighbourhood" or "surroundings".

share|improve this answer

Why does へ work as a direction then? I mean, just because you're referring to a neighbourhood or something like that? –  Anthony Dec 11 '13 at 3:27

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.