Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm having trouble to understand もこれで in a sentence.

This is the sentence with もこれで:

たったひとり、命がけのしゅぎょうもこれで最後だ.

I will translate this by:

"this is the conclusion of a solitary life-or-death training." I don't understand which meaning to give to "もこれで". I don't know which additional information it brings.

Could someone help me ?

thank you

share|improve this question
Try like this: 「命がけのしゅぎょうも、これで最後だ」 –  Igor Skochinsky Dec 9 '13 at 22:39

I had the feeling that これで was linked to 最後だ but I didn't how. Thx. –  hariboy Dec 10 '13 at 21:36
add comment

1 Answer

The も is for emphasis. It does NOT mean "also". In this context, the も implies that the speaker feels that the training has been hard and/or long and it is finally ending.

これで simply means "with this". It is referring to the last part of the training.

share|improve this answer

ok I see now. I didn't know that も could also means an emphasis. For これで i didn't know how to translate it more than "with this" which wouldn't sound right in a translation. so I understand now it's just to link the two parts of the sentence. Thank you very much for you enlightening. –  hariboy Dec 10 '13 at 21:47
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.