Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

On Denshi Jisho looking up "おとこのこ" brings up two results:

男の子 and 男のコ

Edit: (child not boy)

I read the first one literally as "Male [possesive] child" or "Male's child" (or maybe の here is not a particle, just part of the word). The second one is strange. They have the same definition. Why do we have a Katakana コ here?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Why in the world Denshi Jisho has both of those options, I don't know. If it was anywhere else, I'd just say that the katakana version is someone writing 男の子 somewhat creatively. In any case, they mean the same thing. However, の here is -not- possessive, it's a kind of adnominal thing (though it is a particle) - the phrase means 'male child' or 'boy'. You can use の both for possession and for description - for description, の is often interchangeable with である.

share|improve this answer
It seems that the katakana version was added to EDICT by Paul Blay in 2007 with the comments "I get the impression that 男のコ tends to refer to a somewhat older age range than 男の子" and "399,000 yahoo.co.jp hits". He added 女のコ at the same time, saying "2,100,000 yahoo.co.jp hits. Ditto previous comment as well". –  snailboat Dec 10 '13 at 0:50

That would definitely be something that would be interesting to look into, if they actually are a bit different. –  Sjiveru Dec 10 '13 at 16:58
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.