Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I want to say "what kind of evening are you having?". I think 何で can be used, but I dont know how to fit evening into the sentence structure. I have:

何でイブニングがあるか?

Is this right? Would the sentence structure be similar in general?

"What kind of X do you have?"

share|improve this question
Can you give the context you have in mind? This going to dictate what expression you use. It sounds like you want to walk up people at a party your giving and ask 'how is going? are you having a good time?' –  Tim Dec 8 '13 at 4:07

@Tim - Yes thats pretty close. Its actually slang I use with a friend. So I was looking for a close literal translation. But a party context will work –  P.Brian.Mackey Dec 8 '13 at 13:42
@P.Brian.Mackey Oh then it would be more like 楽しんでる? maybe? –  Choko Dec 8 '13 at 14:47

&ちょこれーと - Your answer works. "どんな" was the part tripping me up. –  P.Brian.Mackey Dec 8 '13 at 15:14

2 Answers 2

up vote 7 down vote accepted

何でイブニングがあるか?sounds to me like "Why are there evenings?".
"What kind of~" would be "どんな~", and "What kind of X do you have?" literally translates to どんなXを持っていますか. e.g.

どんなドレスを持っていますか? What kind of dress do you have?

When you ask how one's spending their time I think you could say

どんな~を過ごしていますか。
どんな~をお過ごしですか。(formal)
~を、いかがお過ごしですか。(formal)

...normally in writing.

share|improve this answer

If it is already the evening ("How is your evening? Having fun?"), you can say:

今日楽しんでる?

(inspired by ちょこれーと's comment)

If it is not the evening already ("What are your plans for this evening?"):

今晩何してる?

share|improve this answer

Never heard a Japanese speaker say 今晩楽しんでる?. Can't imagine one saying it, either. –  非回答者 Dec 10 '13 at 11:57

@TokyoNagoya: Thanks for your feedback. I was thinking about 今日楽しんでる (which is not rare) but I should not have adapted to 今晩. –  Nicolas Raoul Dec 10 '13 at 12:10

@Tokyo Nagoya, I trust your expertise, but could you explain why using 今晩 there would be so unnatural? (I know we are making literal translations from english which obviously is unnatural but if you would elucidate your criticism for my benefit, I would be greatly appreciative.) –  yadokari Dec 10 '13 at 18:52

@yadokari: A Google search for my initial sentence leads to only 7 results... Google is my expertise checker :-) –  Nicolas Raoul Dec 11 '13 at 1:00

I have learned from Sawa Sensei that Google as an expertise checker is untrustworthy. –  yadokari Dec 11 '13 at 5:38

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.