Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

あら as in the expression of surprise like "oh my".

share|improve this question

You may always use "oro" ;-) –  LIttle Ancient Forest Kami Dec 7 '13 at 19:07

@LIttleAncientForestKami: My dictionary does not have it, do you have any link? Or is it a joke I have failed to understand? –  Nicolas Raoul Dec 9 '13 at 6:54

I do have the links, though I'm not surprised you don't have it in the dictionary. :-) It's quite famous in some circles due to Rurouni Kenshin character, which uses it quite often. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himura_Kenshin (search for 'oro') or a fan discussion about it with screencap from DVD animenfo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=475. I recall reading it was coined by Watsuki to be a male-version of 'ara' but this link I can't find now. So, summarizing, you weren't off the mark with this being a joke. ;-) –  LIttle Ancient Forest Kami Dec 13 '13 at 22:53
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 6 down vote accepted

While more females might use it than males, it is certainly NOT a female-only expression by any means. I am a male native speaker and I say あら and あらっ all the time and so do many other males around me.

share|improve this answer
I just have a follow up question: I noticed that I can add more "ら”'s to emphasize my surprise like "あらら” to indicate more surprise. I'm just wondering up to how many "ら"'s is it reasonable to add? For example can I use "あららららら” to indicate my emotion without sounding silly? –  zeion Dec 8 '13 at 23:49

@Tokyo Would あらら be a version of あら, or would it be a completely different word? japanese.stackexchange.com/a/1207/264 –  Pacerier Dec 16 '13 at 0:44
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.