Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I want to convert this text to kanji. A translation is optional, I really want to just figure out what the kanji is electronically.

人サベージ

I'm really not sure about the first character "hito" or the last character which looks like a 2 stroke something, but my dictionary has no such kanji. Maybe these characters are some kind of enclosure similar to quotes?

enter image description here

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 6 down vote accepted

That's not a kanji. That's a vertical angle-bracket, i.e. 〈サベージ〉. And yes, sometimes they can act as quotes, but as far as I know, there aren't any set-in-stone rules about their usage.

share|improve this answer
I think it's not <> but 〈〉. But yeah. +1 for brackets not kanji! –  Ash Nov 29 '13 at 17:29
@Ash - Whats the difference? –  P.Brian.Mackey Nov 29 '13 at 19:56
@P.Brian.Mackey font...? :D –  Choko Nov 29 '13 at 23:39

@Ash You may be right, but there aren't really rules, so I'd say they're basically identical other than visually –  rintaun Nov 30 '13 at 1:02

Technically is Unicode "FULLWIDTH LESS-THAN SIGN" and is "LEFT ANGLE BRACKET". But whatever the rules may be -- and I agree that people may sometimes use for a bracket -- it's clearly that is used here, by appearance. :) –  Hyperworm Nov 30 '13 at 1:29
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.