Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am having difficulty locating this kanji. My guess is the radical is cliff "厂" with 7 strokes. However, my dictionary fails me. The closest I got is 后.

enter image description here

share|improve this question

On it's own pronounced つわもの or いくさ, although I'm guessing these are a lot less frequent than just へい. –  istrasci Apr 25 at 16:33

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

It's 兵 as in 兵士. Its radical is 八 (はち(がしら)) and apparently not 斤 (おの(づくり)) or 厂 (がんだれ). 7 strokes.

http://ja.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E5%85%B5

share|improve this answer
Wow, never would have guessed that as the radical. –  P.Brian.Mackey Nov 28 '13 at 23:47

When you can't find it under one radical it's always best to check the others just to be sure! –  ssb Nov 29 '13 at 0:35

Not all radicals are obvious, unfortunately. This one is particularly amusing, though, as かしら in 八頭【はちがしら】 literally means "head", and yet it's acting as feet here. –  Kaji Apr 25 at 18:54

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.