Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have the following translation I need to do for my introductory Japanese class.


So far I have the following.

Recently there have been a lot of traffic accidents so when you turn left, you have to watch out for bicycles and _____ and things like that (I'm telling you).

I am not sure what 通行人 means. I think 通行 means traffic (though how is that different than 交通?) And means person. So, traffic person. I can imagine this meaning either a pedestrian or a car driver. Or maybe even a traffic directing cop.

Also, how would you pronounce this word? That is, what is the hiragana? Is it just the combination of the two parts? こうつうにん?

share|improve this question
Have you tried looking it up in a dictionary? Even if you have trouble understanding the definition, you can see how it is written in kana there. – snailplane Nov 27 '13 at 3:13
up vote 3 down vote accepted

As a dictionary would tell you, it's 通行人【つうこうにん】. As kanji represent the meaning of a word, one way to understand kanji compounds is by changing each into its own word. In this case, 通行人 becomes 通【とお】り行【い】く人【ひと】 -- a person who goes by crossing.

Which is to say, a pedestrian.

share|improve this answer
Thanks so much. I wasn't aware of 通り being something. Good to know. :) – Rachel G. Nov 27 '13 at 3:41
通り is the -ます form of the verb 通【とお】る, which is sometimes used for linking verbs. You could also say 通【とお】って行く人, which means basically the same thing. – rintaun Nov 27 '13 at 3:56

通行人 means "pedestrians" and nothing else and it is read つうこうにん.

交通 means "traffic" whereas 通行 mostly means "passing". In other words, 交通 is more general and abstract, and 通行 is more specific and is used to describe the flow of the traffic in a limited area and/or for a limited time frame. Macro vs. micro, so to speak, though with some overlap.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.