Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

こん。ちょっと質問があります。
★ Hello. I've got a quick question.

この曲、「僕に彼女ができたんだ」と呼んでいますが、タイトルの意味が分からない。
★ Even though the song is called 「僕に彼女ができたんだ」, I don't know what the title means.

暇があったら、手伝ってください。日本語と英語、どっちでもいい。
★ If you've got some time help me out. Japanese, English - whatever is cool.

よろしく!
★ Thanks!

share|improve this question

本当に「こん」を挨拶にできるの? O_o –  rintaun Nov 26 '13 at 10:50
@rintaun 「こん」はネット用語(チャット用語)なので、実生活で「こん」という挨拶はしません。 –  Choko Nov 26 '13 at 12:58
More importantly, Japanese speakers would never say ありがとう the way you did at the end of your question. ありがとう is said ONLY after the service has been rendered. –  非回答者 Nov 27 '13 at 3:29

えぇ。知らなかった、それ。サンキュー! –  X5748 Nov 27 '13 at 10:13
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 8 down vote accepted

This できる means "to come into existence".

「僕に彼女ができたんだ」 therefore means "I've got a girlfriend now." since it would not be natural to say in English the literal translation version "A girlfriend has come into existence for me."

More examples:

「今日新しい友だちができた。」

「もうすぐここにラーメン屋ができるらしい。」= "I hear there will be a ramen shop here soon."

「OMG, こどもができちゃった!」= "I/She got pregnant!" I am sure some of you have heard the word できちゃった婚 or できちゃった結婚 (shotgun marriage). It comes from this できる.

share|improve this answer

I always thought the literal translation was "I made a girlfriend". Is that wrong? –  Darius Jahandarie Nov 26 '13 at 23:17

That would be 作った. If it were literally "I made a girlfriend" "I" would be the subject –  ssb Nov 26 '13 at 23:42

@ssb Sorry, I didn't mean literal in the syntactic sense, just as far as the meaning of this できる. –  Darius Jahandarie Nov 27 '13 at 1:12
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.