Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In Zukkoke Otokomichi, they translate things like 中ってこうぜ as "Let's ~" Why does こうぜ mean let's? Is it just slang, or does it come from 行こう, just dropping the 行?

share|improve this question

What is 中って?? The word preceding the こうぜ needs to be a verb. –  非回答者 Nov 24 '13 at 22:17

My phone gave me 中って instead of 当たって. Any idea why? –  Anthony Nov 24 '13 at 22:30

@Anonymous It's an alternate way of writing 当たる, but it's restricted to certain meanings (see the definition for あたる in 大辞林) and is much less common. It's also not included in the Jōyō kanji chart, which only includes the readings チュウ/ジュウ and なか for the kanji . You should usually use 当たる instead. –  snailboat Nov 24 '13 at 22:45
With only a B.A., I never knew there was a 中る in my language! 当たってこうぜ means "Let's all be aggressive!". –  非回答者 Nov 24 '13 at 23:04

1 Answer 1

こうぜ is just how いこうぜ gets pronounced in lively "tough guy" kind of speech. It is used in group activities such as sports where a team effort is essential.

Te-form of a verb + (い)こうぜ! = "Let's all (verb), guys!"

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.