Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the role of the な in bold in this sentence? Is it a nominalized だ?

考えれば考える程彼女がどういう女のか分からなくなってきます。

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Let's start with this part of the sentence:

彼女がどういう女だ

We'd like to add のだ, which includes the nominalizer の. When we do this, だ changes to な, as you suggest:

+のだ = 〜のだ

Here's what our sentence looks like so far:

彼女がどういう女なのだ

Since this has a question word, it's a question clause even without か. But we can add か anyway, and in this case it's required because of the following verb:

彼女がどういう女なのだか・・・

If this were a complete sentence, we'd want to delete だ before か:

彼女がどういう女なの     ← , not だか

But since the question clause is used as a complement for the following verb, deleting だ is optional:

考えれば考える程 [ 彼女がどういう女なのだか ] 分からなくなってきます。
考えれば考える程 [ 彼女がどういう女なのか ] 分からなくなってきます。

The last one is your sentence, so hopefully you can see how it's put together now.

share|improve this answer

Is deleting the だ actually optional here? This particular example sounds very strange to me with it. –  rintaun Nov 23 '13 at 20:26

@rintaun I think native speakers say things like 〜だか分からない fairly often. What do you think is different about this example? –  snailboat Nov 23 '13 at 20:34

I've heard ~だか in embedded clauses many times, of course, but if I had to take a stab at what's making this sound unnatural to me, I would say it's the preceding なの. Remove either なの or だ and it sounds just fine to me. I'm certainly not a native speaker though, so that could just be a weird feature of my own interlanguage. –  rintaun Nov 24 '13 at 0:26

@rintaun Darius Jahandarie said the same thing in chat, but it's easy to find lots of examples of people saying 〜なのだか. Do you think the examples I listed in chat sound unnatural? –  snailboat Nov 24 '13 at 0:28
~~なのだか分からない is not only natural-sounding but also grammatical. –  非回答者 Nov 24 '13 at 1:02

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.