Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What's the difference in usage and meaning when using を with 大好き or 好き versus using が? I would think that using が is stating that the subject that you are talking about is loved, while using を is suggesting that they are being loved, despite the fact that 好き is an adjective, not a verb. However, I read elsewhere that using を is actually less strong. What's the difference?

share|improve this question
I'm by no means a native speaker, but を大好き sounds really weird to me, although I've seen it sometimes. However, nobody seems to say を大好きだ. Why? Is it because it makes the を too obviously wrong, as copulas clearly don't take objects? –  user54609 Nov 23 '13 at 4:14

I'm not sure what you mean, but a native speaker I know said that he says を. –  Anthony Nov 23 '13 at 4:22
possible duplicate of を vs が with use against 好き? –  Flaw Nov 23 '13 at 4:31

I don't quite understand the answer to that one, although it certainly is the same question. I haven't heard を used with思う, I don't think-I think I've only heard it with と. –  Anthony Nov 23 '13 at 5:44

を is used with both suki and omou –  ssb Nov 23 '13 at 6:20

1 Answer 1

The important difference is the fact that using が is correct by anyone's standards and using を is only correct by certain people's standards. We may have been using the latter for decades now (and I admit that many native speakers do) but how significant is that against the whole history of our language?

Point is there are people who use only が with 好き and those who use both が and を, but I do not think there are people who only use を. It is as though we knew intrinsically which one was "more" correct originally.

My own stance is that any grammar discussion on this matter is doomed to failure as anyone can instantly collect millions of examples for either camp online, so I will talk about the difference between the two.

As OP mentioned, using が would tend to express a stronger liking than using を. If you used が in telling someone that you like him/her, you would be likely to sound more serious. If you used を, you COULD possibly end up sounding a little bit capricious if not necessarily flirtatious. Needless to say, though, the other person would not make a hasty decision based solely on a single particle choice by you. Everything else you say will count just as much or even more.

share|improve this answer
As 好き is derived from the transitive verb 好【す】く, I think its usage with を would be far more common when compared "against the whole history of our language". –  rintaun Nov 23 '13 at 13:28
I am among the people who use only が with 好き. –  Choko Nov 23 '13 at 14:15

Why do people use を though? –  Anthony Nov 27 '13 at 7:40

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.