Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know that ように can be used like 'as' or 'like' and can also be used like 'ために'. But I was watching this TV show where they show 絵馬 and I noticed that almost all the wishes end with ように, which I couldn't understand at first. A web search turned up this which says:

if it's at the end of a sentence (or just after a verb, but that's usually at the end), it can mean you want something to happen, or like... "may x happen" or "let x happen"

My question is, could you use this in every day conversation? Like for example, if I hope our team wins, could I say: 勝ちますように? My extremely limited experience says it sounds weird, but is it? I remember hearing ように used like this before (いい物見つかりますように) but that was in a game (and spoken by a little child) so I'm not sure if that counts.

share|improve this question

Related: How does this ように work? –  istrasci Nov 22 '13 at 20:42
could you use this in every day conversation? As mentioned, it's not at all uncommon to hear from actual people, but I don't know that it would come up in real conversations very much unless you're specifically wishing something to the person. テストうまくいきますように = May you do well on your test / may your test go well. But you're more likely to just hear something like テストがんばってね! –  istrasci Nov 22 '13 at 20:45

1 Answer 1

up vote 9 down vote accepted

It is extremely common to end wish-making phrases with ように. In fact, I (a native speaker) do not know of another way of making a wish.

Everyone regardless of age or gender uses this ending. We often add どうか for emphasis at the beginning of the phrase as well.

「(どうか)ドラゴンズが勝ちますように!」

「(どうか)花子さんと結婚できますように!」

share|improve this answer
花子って相手ですか? (^_^) –  istrasci Nov 22 '13 at 20:40
私の好きな人の名前ではありません。「太郎」や「花子」は昔から例文によく使われる名前なんですよ。 –  l'électeur Nov 22 '13 at 20:47
どうか is kinda like 'please' right? So aside from using it in a prayer/wish, is it correct to assume that I would only say this if I am asking an indirect(?) favor from the person I'm talking to? so if the person I'm talking to is not at all involved, what should be used? I was thinking of ドラゴンズが勝つはずです but it sounds stronger and its like you're not wishing them to win but expecting them to win. –  Jerahmeel Nov 24 '13 at 2:20

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.