Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I sense that using "なん" in questions probably makes the question sound more formal:
"どこですか?"
"どこなんですか?" // maybe more formal?
"いつですか?"
"いつなんですか?" // maybe more formal?
"だれですか?"
"だれなんですか?" // maybe more formal?

Am I right about this? Maybe this is very similar to the function of [美化語]{びかご}?

But, I don't remember ever seeing this in written Japanese. I suspect that this is just because using fewer characters trumps whatever formality "なん" may, or may not, inject into questions?

share|improve this question
なんなんですか? (filler) –  istrasci Nov 21 '13 at 18:33

No, you can add なん to the question なんですか as you did with the other question words. 何なんですか = 何なのですか. –  istrasci Nov 21 '13 at 22:08
It is quite the opposite of what you appear to be thinking. なん is very informal. When you start hearing lots of ん's and small っ's, that is a good sign of when we have gone informal. –  非回答者 Nov 22 '13 at 3:54

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

I don't think なん is particularly formal. It's short for なの. If I understand the traditional grammar right, な here is analyzed as 断定の助動詞「だ」の連体形「な」, a form which appears chiefly before the 形式名詞「の」 in constructions such as 「〜なのだ」「〜なので」「〜なのに」「〜なのか」 and so on.

I think it's like this:

どこ + のだ = どこのだ

So the difference in meaning is the same you get from adding 〜のだ to a sentence.

If you take the above and change だ to です and add か, then you've almost got your original example. You just need to change の to ん:

どこなですか → どこなですか

I think that this の can change to ん before forms of the copula and before the question particle か, but like most reduced forms it's less formal than the full version. It can even be reduced to ん at the end of a sentence in certain dialects, but you should be aware that this is not considered standard Japanese.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.