Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I need a bit of help with my Japanese. If I want to say:

Castle X is beautiful. Among all the castles in the world, castle X is the coolest.

Is this sentence written correctly?

しろ Xの ほうが きれいで せかいの すべての しろの なかで、 しろ Xが いちばん かっこいい です。 

share|improve this question

1) Castle X is beautiful, among all the castle in the world, castle X is the coolest is run-on sentence. 2) Direct translation requests are off-topic. Please edit your question to include something more specific. For example, what difficulties you are having with superlatives, etc. –  istrasci Nov 20 '13 at 16:58
You cannot use ~~のほうが because it is used only for a comparative (A is prettier than B.). Change the のほうが to はとても and your whole sentence will be just perfectly correct. –  非回答者 Nov 21 '13 at 11:23
add comment

1 Answer 1

Castle X is beautiful. Among all the castles in the world, castle X is the coolest.

X[城]{じょう}はキレイです。世界[中]{じゅう}の[城]{しろ}の[中]{なか}でX[城]{じょう}が一番カッコイイです。

In Japanese, if the word is very common and the kanji is too complex to write they write it using katakana, just as I did with キレイ and カッコイイ. This helps kids and teenagers who usually know the word because they hear and use it all the time, but are not very familiar with kanji.

share|improve this answer

It is は, not が in the first sentence. In the second, 間には makes no sense; It should be either 中で or 間で, especially the former. –  非回答者 Dec 6 '13 at 9:38
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.