Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

ひとまず心を落ち着けようと、飲みかけのオレンジジュースに手を伸ばす。

Please help. I came across this line and I don't really understand use of と here. How exactly does と work here?

share|improve this question

Isn't this form what you get by just omitting 思って (or possibly 思いながら) after the ? –  istrasci Nov 15 '13 at 22:20

Is that so? Is 思って often omitted in such a situation. (Thanks for the response) –  ElSigh Nov 15 '13 at 22:22
I think it could also be like omitting して. See @TsuyoshiIto's answer here. –  istrasci Nov 15 '13 at 22:23

I didn't realize the rules of omission are so flexible. Given the context both comments fit well. –  ElSigh Nov 15 '13 at 23:33
isn't this the "volitional+to suru" pattern, but with a different verb in place of suru? i don't see it as an omission of suru... it's more like a replacement of suru by nobasu. –  ogicu8abruok Nov 16 '13 at 4:02
show 2 more comments

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

You may be reading too much into this; It is pretty simple.

Verb A + ようと + Verb B = "do B" so as to / in order to / for the purpose of "do A".

A is your goal / purpose. B is the method you are taking to achieve A.

ひとまず心を落ち着けようと、飲みかけのオレンジジュースに手を伸ばす。 means:

"I extend my arm to the unfinished (glass of) orange juice so as to relax myself for now."

share|improve this answer

Thank you for your clear answer. –  ElSigh Nov 16 '13 at 16:30

Obviously this is not the intent, but your wording of Verb A + ようと makes it sound like you need to add ようと to a verb instead of it actually being the 意志形. –  istrasci Nov 16 '13 at 18:13

@istrasci But the よう is 助動詞, no? dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn2/226119/m0u/%E3%82%88%E3%81%86 (We Japanese learn it as 助動詞 at school so I think most of us are not familiar with the term 意志形) –  Choko Nov 17 '13 at 8:59

@ちょこれーと: I don't know the names of all the 品詞, so I'll trust you that it's true. But my point was, the answer used Verb A and Verb B, and that seems to imply that they use the same form, which they obviously don't in this pattern. –  istrasci Nov 17 '13 at 19:28
It looks like 100% of the Google results for 意志形 are istrasci posting on this site, so that might not be the best term... At any rate, 〜(よ)う is often considered a separate form rather than 助動詞 in 日本語教育. The 日本語文法ハンドブック series calls this form the 意向形, for what it's worth. –  snailboat Nov 19 '13 at 2:39
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.