Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I understand that obviously every Japanese textbook will go into this topic briefly... but I can never really come to grips with what it means in Japanese. If anyone could link me to a good Japanese dictionary entry about it that would be great (I can't find a good one that explains it)

I am interested in the し particle as used below... 歯は痛いし、歯医者には行きたくないし、困ったよ。

I was wondering if the し particle had anything to do with する/しか/しも.

職場は失うし、妻とは別れるし(で)、彼はひどく元気がない。 Here, it seems like し seems to turn the reasons into some sort of noun phrase because the author has stated you can use で with them.

Knowing the essential underlying meanings behind ので and から helps me to unconsciously decide between them... I kinda have no idea how to do the same with し so... Can anyone enlighten me or link me to somewhere where I could be enlightened on the matter?

share|improve this question

"Japanese as a foreign language" seems to teach a curious mixture of the overly formal and the slovenly informal. This し is a prime example of the latter. I would not teach it unless the student was already fairly fluent. –  Tokyo Nagoya Nov 12 '13 at 10:29

I agree! It is such a poorly taught language! I have been studying for sooo long and I have sooo much that I know but it is all just a mess in my head :( I am desperately trying to sort it all out... but I have no idea which direction I should be heading! –  Nathan Nov 12 '13 at 12:32

Blame the JLPT test-setters. Don't know about the new exams, but 〜し was on the old 3級 syllabus. –  momerathe Nov 13 '13 at 14:15
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 3 down vote accepted

し is used here to create a list, and I'd translate your example sentence as "My tooth hurts, I don't want to go to the dentist... it sucks." (lit: "I'm troubled")

It's sort of like や in that it creates a list, but as I'm thinking about it, し is used more for a list of reasons that culminate in a conclusion stated later in the sentence. I might describe my girlfriend as follows: 頭がいいし、かわいいし、日本語を勉強するし、お互いに話しやすいし、本当に好きだよ。

Here, I'm listing out various reasons I like her. In your example, you're listing out reasons that you're troubled. Hope that helps!

share|improve this answer

also, when you use し like this, it implies that this is a non-exhaustive list of reasons: you're just mentioning the most pertinent or important. –  momerathe Nov 12 '13 at 9:39
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.