Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

i was playing Katahane last night, in it Light and Wakaba refer to their mother as Kaa-san while Light refers to Wakaba (his older sister) as Nee-san and when meeting with Rien he says for them to call him Jii-san by commenting

If you did not know my name or who i was i would just be an old man to you correct?

^ (he's not saying that in a bad way mind you)

also in Fate/Stay Night, Sakura refers to Rin as Nee-san and the 2 of them are sister however Sakura was adopted out to prevent a potential fight over Magus Succession between them (like what happens with Touko and Aoko)

from my understanding, Okaa-san is Mother, Onee-San is Big Sister and Ojii-san is Grandfather, now while Kaa-san and Nee-san i can still determine refer to Mother and Sister i'm assuming Jii-san is something close to Grandfather as Rein in Katahane is almost like a grandfather to Cero and since Wakaba is close to Cero (potential love interest in one route) i'm assuming he doesn't mind being though of as a grandfather but that's seculation,

so i am wondering, what is the difference between Okaa-san/Onee-san/Ojii-san and Kaa-san/Nee-san/Jii-san apart from the obvious drop of O from each word

share|improve this question
@TokyoNagoya: How does knowing the Japanese alphabet help answer the difference between these words? –  istrasci Nov 11 '13 at 22:20

@istrasci ok i think i get it, what i was asking was the difference between the meaning while TokyoNagoya was refing to the obvious drop of O in the words, edited my question for that –  Memor-X Nov 11 '13 at 22:23
It would be a little easier to understand your questions if they were written in proper English. –  snailboat Nov 11 '13 at 23:34
add comment

1 Answer

o is an "honorific prefix" (read about honorific speech in Japanese on Wikipedia), which is a more polite way to refer to someone's or your own grandfather/mother/sister/etc.

There is also お父さん otōsan "father", おばあさん obāsan "grandmother" and お兄さん oniisan "big brother", which fit the same pattern.

We have a few questions about お and its "brother" ご on this site, which might be of interest. You'll probably understand the meaning of お from reading these questions alone.

share|improve this answer

(1) I do not think that adding お to 母さん/姉さん/じいさん/etc. affects the formality of the word. (2) I think that writing お父さん as otōsan and おばあさん as obaasan is a mixture of two different romanization conventions. (3) The question mentioned お母さん, お姉さん, and おじいさん, and you mentioned お父さん and おばあさん…. I am afraid that お兄さん is logically missing! –  Tsuyoshi Ito Nov 12 '13 at 1:47
@TsuyoshiIto Maybe formality necessitates politeness, so that "formal" is redundant? (2) Personally, I use ワープロローマ字, but I think in my romanization attempt, I correctly used the convention of traditional Hepburn romanization, but I'll switch to modified Hepburn. (3) Added お兄さん, because you asked for it ;) –  Earthliŋ Nov 12 '13 at 9:39

(1) Thank you for the edit. In response to the comment, though, I still think that “formal” is not redundant but incorrect in the case of the current question. (2) This was my fault. I did not know that there was a convention to use aa for ああ and ō for おう read as おー. My apologies. (3) Thanks! :) –  Tsuyoshi Ito Nov 12 '13 at 10:13

I think that Japanese can be formal, polite, both, or neither--that's what my books say, at any rate. (The distinction between formal and polite has always been challenging for me as a learner, to be honest...) –  snailboat Nov 12 '13 at 19:22
@TsuyoshiIto Thinking more about it, I agree that neither 父さん nor お父さん are particularly formal, but quite the opposite. In any formal context "father" would be 父{ちち} or 父親. Curious that a polite and formal version doesn't really exist any longer (unless you want to sound like a warrior and use 父上). –  Earthliŋ Nov 12 '13 at 22:35
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.