Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm beginner in to learn japanese and will would know by what's better start first, hiragana or katakana and why?, Thanks in advance

share|improve this question

closed as primarily opinion-based by nkjt, istrasci, Dono, rintaun, Earthliŋ Nov 10 '13 at 23:55

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer 1

It almost doesn't matter, because you're going to be learning them both quickly enough that it won't make much of a difference which one you start with. And you'll be using them both extensively every day, just as you use both lower case and upper case every day in English.

But still, it's a sensible question. Which one should you choose?

You can make arguments either way. I started with hiragana, and that's what makes the most sense to me. In a way, hiragana is more basic; it's more common, and most of the Japanese vocabulary is more normally written in hiragana than katakana. But starting with katakana could make sense, too! If you're in Japan and barely know any Japanese, knowing katakana will let you recognize at least some words borrowed from English. And unless you're Chinese, your name will most likely be written with katakana.

But really, you can do it either way. Just learn to write them both as soon as you can, and make sure you learn to write them the right way, with the proper stroke order.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.