Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am having a bit of trouble separating の and もの when they serve the purpose of turning a verb phrase into a noun.

The の noun seems to satisfy a few purposes... It seems to be like "one"... like when you say "the red one is mine" "赤いのは私のです" And it also seems to be work like "~ing" "It is hard to swim" "泳ぐのが難しい”

At least in the first example, I can give "one" meaning and explain it... The second one is kind of like the "to" in "to swim" isn't it?

I want to know if you can give の a meaning, or have some way to visualize it in order to distinguish it from もの?

share|improve this question
Do you have A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar by Makino et al.? It describes these uses of の on pages 315 through 322. I think you might find it helpful (although it doesn't answer your question as written). –  snailboat Nov 10 '13 at 8:44
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 10 down vote accepted

There are two separate things to pick apart here.

In your two examples, as you suspect の is really performing two different functions in your two examples. It's only in 「泳ぐのが難しい」that it's really turning the verb phrase into a noun; in 「赤いの」it's acting as a placeholder noun, which is modified by the adjective.

You can't use もの to nominalise a verb phrase - 「泳ぐもの」will always mean "swimmer" or "the one that swims", not "swimming". (as an aside, you can also use 「泳ぐ事」to mean "swimming")

Now, as to your question about the difference between の and もの when used as a placeholder noun, there is a difference in nuance.

先週買ったもの - the thing I bought last week 先週かったの - the one that I bought last week

「先週かったの」implies that there are many things under consideration, but the one I'm interested in is the one I bought last week. With もの you're just talking about a singular object, but the implication with の is that it's a specific object out of many.

share|improve this answer

That's... epic.. thankyou!!! I'll try and sort it out a bit more in my head –  Nathan Nov 10 '13 at 11:39
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.